The concept and purpose of kendo
The concept of kendo
The concept of Kendo is to discipline the human character through the application of the principles of the Katana (sword).
The purpose of practising kendo
The purpose of practising kendo is:
- to mold the mind and body,
- to cultivate a vigorous spirit,
- and through correct and rigid training,
- to strive for improvement in the art of Kendo,
- to hold in esteem human courtesy and honor,
- to associate with others with sincerity, and
- to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.
This will make one be able:
- to love his/her country and society,
- to contribute to the development of culture, and
- to promote peace and prosperity among all peoples.
(The Concept of Kendo was established by All Japan Kendo Federation in 1975.)
Source: The All Japan Kendo Federation, kendo-fik.org/english-page/english-page2/concept-of-Kendo.htm